Saturday, April 26, 2008

Starbucks Blues


Starbucks annoys me. Yes, I go there, probably more often than I should. Given a choice, I'd go to a locally owned cafe, but they're getting harder and harder to find. But while I may drink there, I don't play their silly name game.

It started out as an issue of privacy. Granted, on the face of it, giving a name at Starbucks is not a major breach of privacy. But when we casually give up private information (or consent to be taped everywhere) in the little ways, we become inured to it. It becomes no big deal. Then, when it matters, we just accept privacy violations without question. So, since there's no need to give a name at Starbucks (they will manage to get my drink to me), I don't.

Refusing to give a name at Starbucks has become an interesting social experiment. Most baristas don't notice or care. Some think it's funny. They'll put "X" or "anonomous" (that person couldn't spell). Some, though, are confused and even offended. When I say no, they repeat the question and don't know what to do. Or they argue with me about it. One almost cried (I did feel bad about that, but c'mon). Again, I point out, they don't need it. It's a false, corporate ploy to make it seem like a friendly local place. But it's not. It's a corporate chain that's everywhere.

Everywhere. This Starbucks is on Mackinac Island in northern Michigan. This island doesn't allow cars, so everyone rides bicycles or horses (the local taxi is a horsedrawn carriage). A quaint, nostalgic and beautiful place. Starbucks is even there.

No comments: