Sunday, April 13, 2008

My First Post

This is my first post for this blog, for any blog. I feel it should be something momentous, to drive this thing forward. Before you get too excited, rest assured it will be anything but.

It will get better. Hopefully. At least less painful, for all concerned.

I was on the train to New York a week or so ago and someone asked me that dreaded question, "What do you do?" I never know how to answer. If I say I'm a writer, the follow up questions are what have you written? And then I feel compelled to explain all the other things I do to be a writer, as an excuse for why I don't write a lot. I feel like that late-night commercial for technical school with the struggle between experience and a job. By the time I'm done explaining, we're all looking for another drink. This time, though, the person who asked knew exactly what I was talking about. He said he was a composer and even though he ran a software consulting company to pay the bills, he still felt like he was a composer, and that was enough for him.

It's not enough for me.

No comments: