Sunday, February 1, 2009

New York moment

So, the other other day I had to spend the night in New York and stayed at this hotel in the upper East Side.

I had a late dinner at the hotel restaurant and stuck around at the bar for a little while...the conversations were just too good to up and leave, and I wasn't in a rush.

It was a local crowd. First we talked about eyebrow grooming. (I am oftentimes amused at the conversations that seem to fall in my lap.) The bartender, a man, was explaining eyebrow threading, which apparently is about the same painwise as tweezing, but a lot quicker. I had never heard of it. The other guy who was there and I both were champions of the tweezer method. All three of us were in agreement, however, on waxing. The threading guy had tried it. I've had it done elsewhere on my body and can think of better things to do. That seems painful and risky...I mean one false move and there goes an eyebrow. For the record, I can't imagine I'd try the threading thing, either.

The conversation eventually meandered around to the different boroughs of New York. The consensus amongst those present (besides me) was that Brooklyn was for lost souls, Queens was for families (or at least family-oriented), and the Bronx was a place where if you were born there you loved it and would probably die there. The woman who was there, who had been out on a cigarette break during the whole eyebrow conversation, said that she had lived in Brooklyn for a couple of years, until her father told her about the whole lost souls thing, so she moved. I don't know...I never listened that closely to my parents, but who's to say that's a good or a bad thing.

No comments: