Friday, December 19, 2008

Well, I could have done THAT

So, for most of this week I was suffering from what I assumed to be a stomach virus. I never get sick and have actually never met my primary care doctor. But tired of the whole ordeal and having a free couple of hours, I decided to get checked out.

Of course, my primary care doctor wasn't free (so we still haven't met) so they sent me to the urgent care section of this particular practice. The person who examined me was stumped as to possible reasons for my symptoms as they apparently weren't conclusive. So he sat down at the computer and started looking things up, asking me if I had related symptoms for the particular diseases in question. We went from the common ("Could you be pregnant?" "No" "How do you know?") to increasingly rare or unlikely ("It could be a precursor to heart disease, any history?" and "It's also a symptom of hepatitis, but I see you've been vaccinated.") Finally he just said to give it a couple of days, drink plenty of clear fluids--no caffeine or alcohol (like that's going to happen), and if I was still having trouble to come back.

Next time I'll do my own Internet research.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How annoying. Ever since I left my wonderful, feminist, sensible Dr in London and came to Boston, it's been a frustrating hunt for a decent physician. My present Dr just doesn't listen or consider anything less than catastrophic health failure worth solving. I hope you're better now.